Dr. Dale Hitchcock is a Senior Scientist in the Energy Materials group at the Savannah River National Laboratory (SRNL). Prior to joining the lab as a staff scientist in 2015 he spent a year as a postdoctoral researcher in the same group.
Dr. Hitchcock earned his PhD in condensed matter physics from Clemson University in 2014, under the supervision of Prof. Jain He and Prof. Terry M. Tritt. In 2014 he was named the Clemson University Outstanding Graduate Researcher.
Since joining SRNL Dr. Hitchcock’s work has mainly focused on hydrogen isotope interactions with materials. More recently his research has also included projects related to additive manufacturing and mechanical metamaterials.
PUBLICATIONS & PATENTS
- “Graphene Synthesized by Chemical Vapor Deposition as a Hydrogen Isotope Permeation Barrier” K.T.Young, C. Smith, T.M. Krentz, D.A. Hitchcock, E.M. Vogel Carbon 176, 106-117 (2021)
- “In-Cu alloy substrates for low-temperature chemical vapor deposition of Mo2C” K.T. Young, C. Smith, D.A. Hitchcock, and E.M. Vogel Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A 39, 012201 (2021)
- “Measurement of Gas-Concentration-Driven Permeation for the Examination of Permeability, Solubility, and Diffusivity in Varying Materials” K.T. Young, T.M. Krentz, A.L. d’Entremont, E.M. Vogel, and D.A. Hitchcock, Review of Scientific Instruments 91, 105105 (2020)
- “Tritium Effects on Aromatic Carbon Loaded Polymers” D. Hitchcock, T. Krentz, J. Gaillard, S. Serkiz, M. Kranjc, B. Peters, J. Velten, and T. DeVol Fusion Science and Technology accepted
- "Solid-State Reactive Sintering of Dense and Highly Conductive Ta-Doped Li7La3Z2O12 Using CuO as a Sintering Aid" C. Li, A. Ishii, L. Roy, D. Hitchcock, Y. Meng, and K. Brinkman Journal of Materials Science, 1-12 (2020)
- “The Synthesis Mechanism of Mo2C on Ag-Cu Alloy Substrates by Chemical Vapor Deposition and the Impact of Substrate Choice” K. Young, C. Smith, D. Hitchcock, T. Walters, C. Voigt, and E. Vogel 2D Materials 7 (3), 035022
- “Tritium Aging Effects on Fracture Toughness of Stainless Steel Weldments” M.J. Morgan, D.A. Hitchcock, T.M. Krentz, and S.L. West Fusion Science and Technology 76, 209-214 (2020)
- “The impact of defect density, grain size, and Cu orientation on thermal oxidation of graphene-coated Cu” K.T. Young, S. Phillips, J. Coley, C.J. Perini, D. Hitchcock, S. Serkiz, E.M. Vogel Applied Surface Science, 478, 959 (2019)
- “Stainless Steel Passivation using Electropolishing and Thermal Treatments” P. Korinko, R. Wyrwas, W. Spencer, B. Peters, E. Stein, D. Hitchcock, Fusion Science and Technology FST16-189 (2016)
- “Thermoelectric properties of Li-intercalated ZrSe2 Single Crystals” T. Holgate, Y. Liu, D. Hitchcock, T.M. Tritt, and J. He, J. of Elec. Mater. 42, 1751 (2013)
- "Monitoring pH-triggered drug release from radioluminescent nanocapsules with X-ray excited optical luminescence", H. Chen, T. Moore, B. Qi, D.C. Colvin, E.K. Jelen, D. Hitchcock, J. He, T. Mefford, J.C. Gore, F. Alexis and J. Anker, ACS Nano, 7, 1178 (2013)
- "The microstructure network and thermoelectric properties of bulk (Bi,Sb)2Te3", W. Xie, D. Hitchcock, H. Kang, J. He, X. Tang, M. Laver, and B. Hammouda, Appl. Phys. Lett. 101, 113902 (2012)
- “Electrical transport properties of single-walled carbon nanotube bundles treated with boric acid”, D. Hitchcock, K. Yang, J. He, and A. M. Rao, NANO: Brief Reports and Reviews 06, 337 (2011)
- “Spin polarons in the correlated metallic pyrochlore Cd2Re2O7”, V. G. Storchak, J. Brewer, S. Stubbs, O. Parfenov, R. Lichti, P. Mengyan, J. He, I. Bredeson, D. Hitchcock, and D. Mandrus, Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 076402 (2010)
- “Probing lattice dynamics of Cd2Re2O7 pyrochlore: a thermal transport and thermodynamics Study”, J. He, D. Hitchcock, I. Bredeson, N. Hickman, T.M. Tritt, and S. N. Zhang, Phys. Rev. B 81, 134302 (2010)
- book chapter: “Tuning electrical properties of carbon nanotubes via spark plasma sintering”, K. Yang, D. Hitchcock, J. He, and A. M. Rao, pp 2780-2788, Encyclopedia of Nanotechnology, ed. B. Bhushan, Springer-Verlag, (2012)
Selected Technical Reports
- D. A. Hitchcock, T. Krentz, M. Drory, B. Garcia-Diaz, E. Vogel, and K. Young “MAX phase materials and MXenes as hydrogen barrier coatings” FY20 LDRD Report. Savannah River National Laboratory, Aiken, SC.
- L. Roy, D. A Hitchcock, K. S. Brinkman, L. Shuller-Nickles “Solid State Ionics: Materials Development by Multiscale Modeling and Advanced Manufacturing Techniques” FY20 LDRD Report. Savannah River National Laboratory, Aiken, SC.
- E. Villa-Aleman, A. L. Houk, D. D. Dick, D. A. Hitchcock, and P. S. Korinko “Time Domain Thermoreflectance (TDTR) and Photodeflection Signatures” FY20 LDRD Report. Savannah River National Laboratory, Aiken, SC.
- J. S. Carpenter, C. W. San Marchi, D. K. Balch, B. A. Meyer, J. M. Baca, M. J. Brand, A. Deal, R. Deering, S. Duran, B. Ferguson, J. Gray, R. Harder III, Z. Hilton, D. A. Hitchcock, P. Korinko, T. Krentz, L. A. Kuettner, C. Massa, B. M. Patterson, A. Sadikovic, R. Thomas, D. Wilson “Increasing the Readiness Levels of Additively Manufactured Gas Transfer System Reservoirs: Report on FY20 Activities”
- T. M. Krentz, D. A. Hitchcock “2019 Accomplishments-Degradation of Mechanical Properties in Structural Metals and Welds for GTS Reservoirs” SRNL-STI-2020-00002
- T. M. Krentz, D A. Hitchcock, and M. J. Morgan Fracture Toughness Properties of Tritium-Charged-and-Aged Stainless Steels: SRNL AND SNL Collaboration Test Plan and 2018 Results SRNL-STI-2019-00022
- Morgan, D. A. Hitchcock, T. M. Krentz, J. D. McNamara, and A. J. Duncan Tritium Aging Studies on Stainless Steel Weldments and Heat-Affected-Zones M. J. SRNL-TR-2019-00064
- D. Hitchcock, T. Krentz, J. Velten, H. Colon-Mercado, S. Serkiz, K. Young, E.Vogel, and K. Brinkman Room temperature Sieving of Hydrogen Isotopes Using 2-D Materials -FY18 LDRD Report. Savannah River National Laboratory, Aiken, SC.
- M. J Morgan, D. Hitchcock, T. Krentz, J. McNamara, A. Duncan, 2017 Accomplishments–Tritium Aging Studies on Stainless Steel Weldments and Heat-Affected Zones SRNL-STI-2018-00036
- B. Peters and D. Hitchcock Quartz Enhanced Photoacoustic Spectroscopy as a Trace Gas Detection System SRNL-L4410-2017-0016
- R. Wyrwas, P. Korinko B. Peters, D. Hitchcock, E. Stein, W. Spencer, A. Schnell, M. Van Swol Passivation of stainless steel components by electropolishing and vacuum heat treatment –FY17 PDRD Report. Savannah River National Laboratory, Aiken, SC.
- J. Gaillard, D. Hitchcock, J. Coughlin, B. Peters, M. Kranjc, T. Krentz, J. Velten, S. Serkiz, M. Craps, R. Czerw J. Soto 2016 Graphene Permeation Barrier for the Reduction of Water and Oxygen Flux Through Glovebox Gloves–FY16 PDRD Report. Savannah River National Laboratory, Aiken, SC.
- J. Gaillard, T. Krentz, S. Serkiz, M. Kranj, D. Hitchcock, B. Peters, J. Velten, M. Craps, R. Czerw, T. DeVol 2016. Degradation Resistant Carbon Nanomaterial Reinforced Elastomers for Tritium Service. –FY16 PDRD Report. Savannah River National Laboratory, Aiken, SC.
- Serkiz, S.M., Dale Hitchcock, and Josef Velten, Two dimensional nanomaterials for the passivation of stainless steel surfaces-FY16 PDRD Report. 2016. Savannah River National Laboratory, Aiken, SC.
- G. Staack, J. Gaillard , D. Hitchock, B. Peters, H. Colon-Mercado, J. Teprovich, J. Coughlin, K. Neikirk, C. Fisher, I. Demass, T. Krentz 2016. Advancement of Tritium Powered Betavoltaic Battery Systems– Final Report FY16. Savannah River National Laboratory, Aiken, SC.
EDUCATION & AWARDS
BS, 2014, Physics, Clemson University, Clemson, SC
PhD, 2019, Physics, Clemson University, Clemson, SC
2016 Outstanding Poster Award, International Conference on Thermoelectrics, Wuhan, China
2014 Clemson University Outstanding Graduate Researcher
2014 College of Engineering and Science Outstanding Graduate Researcher, Clemson University
2013-2014 Clemson University R.C. Edwards Distinguished Graduate Fellowship
2010 Best Symposium Poster Award, MRS Fall Meeting, Boston, MA
2009 Phi Beta Kappa Society, Clemson University Chapter