Dr. John R. Reynolds is a Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry, and Materials Science and Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology with expertise in polymer chemistry. He serves as a member of the Center for Organic Photonics and Electronics (COPE) and is the founding Director of the Georgia Tech Polymer Network (GTPN).
His research interests have involved electrically conducting and electroactive conjugated polymers for ~40 years with work focused to the development of new polymers by manipulating their fundamental organic structure in order to control their optoelectronic and redox properties. His group has been heavily involved in developing new polyheterocycles for visible and infrared light electrochromism, along with light emission from polymer and composite LEDs (both visible and near-infrared) and light emitting electrochemical cells (LECs). Further work is directed to using organic polymers and oligomers in charge storing supercapacitors, photovoltaic cells and bio-electronic devices.
Reynolds obtained his M.S. (1982) and Ph.D. (1984) degrees from the University of Massachusetts in Polymer Science and Engineering, he has published over 450 peer-reviewed scientific papers, has ~45 patents issued and ~10 patents pending, and serves as co-editor of the “Handbook of Conducting Polymers”. He was awarded the ACS Cope Scholar Award in 2020, the ACS Florida Award in 2019, the ACS Applied Polymer Science Award in 2012 and is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry and the Materials Research Society. He has served on the editorial board for the journals ACS Central Science, Macromolecules, Chemistry of Materials, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, Macromolecular Rapid Communications, Polymers for Advanced Technologies, and the Journal of Macromolecular Science, Chemistry. John has been married since October of 1986, has three children, and he and his wife make their home in Dunwoody GA.
He can be reached by email at Reynolds@chemistry.gatech.edu or see https://reynolds.chemistry.gatech.edu/.
PUBLICATIONS & PATENTS
1. Patel, D.G., Graham, K.R., Reynolds, J.R. J. Mater. Chem. 2012, 22(7), 3004. "A Diels–Alder crosslinkable host polymer for improved PLED performance: the impact on solution processed doped device and multilayer device performance."
2. Knott, E.P., Craig, M.R., Liu, D.Y., Babiarz, J.E., Dyer, A.L., Reynolds, J.R. J. Mater. Chem. 2012, 22(11), 4953. "A minimally coloured dioxypyrrole polymer as a counter electrode material in polymeric electrochromic window devices."
3. Stalder, R., Grand, C., Subbiah, J., So, F., Reynolds, J.R. Polymer Chemistry 2012, 3(1), 89. "An isoindigo and dithieno[3,2-b:2′,3′-d]silole copolymer for polymer solar cells."
4. Small, C.E., Chen, S., Subbiah, J., Amb, C.M., Tsang, S.-W., Lai, T.-H., Reynolds, J.R., So, F. Nature Photonics 2012, 6(2), 115. "High-efficiency inverted dithienogermole–thienopyrrolodione-based polymer solar cells."
5. Jensen, J., Dam, H.F., Reynolds, J.R., Dyer, A.L., Krebs, F.C. J. Polym. Sci. B Polym. Phys. 2012, 50(8), 536. "Manufacture and demonstration of organic photovoltaic-powered electrochromic displays using roll coating methods and printable electrolytes."
6. Amb, C.M., Craig, M.R., Koldemir, U., Subbiah, J., Choudhury, K.R., Gevorgyan, S.A., Jørgensen, M., Krebs, F.C., So, F., Reynolds, J.R. ACS Appl. Mater. Int. 2012, 4(3), 1847. "Aesthetically Pleasing Conjugated Polymer:Fullerene Blends for Blue-Green Solar Cells Via Roll-to-Roll Processing."
7. Sun, Y., Chen, Z., Puodziukynaite, E., Jenkins, D.M., Reynolds, J.R., Schanze, K.S. Macromolecules 2012, 45(6), 2632. "Light Harvesting Arrays of Polypyridine Ruthenium(II) Chromophores Prepared by Reversible Addition–Fragmentation Chain Transfer Polymerization."
8. Subbiah, J., Amb, C.M., Irfan, I., Gao, Y., Reynolds, J.R., So, F. ACS Appl. Mater. Inter. 2012, 4(2), 866. "High-Efficiency Inverted Polymer Solar Cells with Double Interlayer."
9. Patel, D.G., Feng, F., Ohnishi, Y.-ya, Abboud, K.A., Hirata, S., Schanze, K.S., Reynolds, J.R. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2012, 134(5), 2599. "It Takes More Than an Imine: The Role of the Central Atom on the Electron-Accepting Ability of Benzotriazole and Benzothiadiazole Oligomers."
10. Ertas, M., Walczak, R.M., Das, R.K., Rinzler, A.G., Reynolds, J.R. Chem. Mater. 2012, 24(3), 433. "Supercapacitors Based on Polymeric Dioxypyrroles and Single Walled Carbon Nanotubes."
11. Puodziukynaite, E., Oberst, J.L., Dyer, A.L., Reynolds, J.R. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2012, 134(2), 968. "Establishing Dual Electrogenerated Chemiluminescence and Multicolor Electrochromism in Functional Ionic Transition-Metal Complexes."
12. Aitken, B.S., Wieruszewski, P.M., Graham, K.R., Reynolds, J.R., Wagener, K.B. Macromolecules 2012, 45(2), 705. "Perfectly Regioregular Electroactive Polyolefins: Impact of Inter-Chromophore Distance on PLED EQE."
13. Beaujuge, P.M., Vasilyeva, S.V., Liu, D.Y., Ellinger, S., McCarley, T.D., Reynolds, J.R. Chem. Mater. 2012, 24(2), 255. "Structure-Performance Correlations in Spray-Processable Green Dioxythiophene-Benzothiadiazole Donor–Acceptor Polymer Electrochromes."
14. Graham, K.R., Yang, Y., Sommer, J.R., Shelton, A.H., Schanze, K.S., Xue, J., Reynolds, J.R. Chem. Mater. 2011, 23(24), 5305. "Extended Conjugation Platinum(II) Porphyrins for use in Near-Infrared Emitting Organic Light Emitting Diodes."
15. Arroyave, F.A., Reynolds, J.R. J. Org. Chem. 2011, 76(21), 8621. "Synthesis of π-Conjugated Molecules Based on 3,4-Dioxypyrroles via Pd-Mediated Decarboxylative Cross-Coupling."
16. Ellinger, S., Graham, K.R., Shi, P., Farley, R.T., Steckler, T.T., Brookins, R.N., Taranekar, P., Mei, J., Padilha, L.A., Ensley, T.R., Hu, H., Webster, S., Hagan, D.J., Van Stryland, E.W., Schanze, K.S., Reynolds, J.R. Chem. Mater. 2011, 23(17), 3805. "Donor–Acceptor–Donor-based π-Conjugated Oligomers for Nonlinear Optics and Near-IR Emission."
17. Stalder, R., Mei, J., Subbiah, J., Grand, C., Estrada, L.A., So, F., Reynolds, J.R. Macromolecules 2011, 44(16), 6303. "n-Type Conjugated Polyisoindigos."
18. Amb, C.M., Chen, S., Graham, K.R., Subbiah, J., Small, C.E., So, F., Reynolds, J.R. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, 133(26), 10062. "Dithienogermole As a Fused Electron Donor in Bulk Heterojunction Solar Cells."
19. Dyer, A.L., Thompson, E.J., Reynolds, J.R. ACS Appl. Mater. Int. 2011, 3(6), 1787. "Completing the Color Palette with Spray-Processable Polymer Electrochromics."
20. Mei, J., Graham, K.R., Stalder, R., Tiwari, S.P., Cheun, H., Shim, J., Yoshio, M., Nuckolls, C., Kippelen, B., Castellano, R.K., Reynolds, J.R. Chem. Mater. 2011, 23(9), 2285. "Self-Assembled Amphiphilic Diketopyrrolopyrrole-Based Oligothiophenes for Field-Effect Transistors and Solar Cells."
21. Bricaud, Q., Fabre, R.M., Brookins, R.N., Schanze, K.S., Reynolds, J.R. Langmuir 2011, 27(8), 5021. "Energy Transfer between Conjugated Polyelectrolytes in Layer-by-Layer Assembled Films."
22. Mavrinskiy, A., Nielsen, C.B., Reynolds, J.R., Müllen, K., Pisula, W. Chem. Mater. 2011, 23(7), 1939. "Influence of the Alkyl Mantle on the Self-Assembly of Phenylene−Thienylene-Based Oligomers."
23. Vasilyeva, S.V., Beaujuge, P.M., Wang, S., Babiarz, J.E., Ballarotto, V.W., Reynolds, J.R. ACS Appl. Mater. Int. 2011, 3(4), 1022. "Material Strategies for Black-to-Transmissive Window-Type Polymer Electrochromic Devices."
24. Graham, K.R., Mei, J., Stalder, R., Shim, J., Cheun, H., Steffy, F., So, F., Kippelen, B., Reynolds, J.R. ACS Appl. Mater. Int. 2011, 3(4), 1210. "Polydimethylsiloxane as a Macromolecular Additive for Enhanced Performance of Molecular Bulk Heterojunction Organic Solar Cells."
25. Amb, C.M., Dyer, A.L., Reynolds, J.R. Chem. Mater. 2011, 23(3), 397. "Navigating the Color Palette of Solution-Processable Electrochromic Polymers."
EDUCATION & AWARDS
- B.S., Chemistry, San Jose State University, 1979
- M.S., Polymer Science & Eng., University of Massachusetts, 1982
- Ph.D., Polymer Science & Eng., University of Massachusetts, 1985