What is MSE?
Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) is an enabling discipline that focuses on developing processes needed to design and create materials with atomic and molecular scale structures that provide the properties necessary for meeting performance requirements for functions and applications for meeting next generation societal challenges.
Graduates with an MSE degree guide the selection of materials for application-specific performance requirements. They design and create materials with required properties, e.g., metals lighter and stronger, ceramics tougher, polymers degradable, and composites more affordable. They develop processes employing environmentally friendly, low-cost, sustainable, manufacturing approaches, with strategic use of rare materials and natural resources.
They use process-structure-property-performance relationships for discovering and deploying materials into new applications.
An MSE degree keeps your options open. You can work in the aerospace, biomedical, electronic, energy, environment, health and human welfare, infrastructure, security, and transportation industries and sectors.
Reasons why you should choose MSE at GT
- MSE at GT is amongst largest, most diverse, and top ranked materials program in the U.S.
- Undergraduate education covers wide range of academic areas spanning Structural and Functional materials, Polymers and Textiles, & Biomaterials
- Instruction is by experts in both traditional and advanced fields
- Individualized academic advisement and mentoring for all students
- Opportunities for Co-op, Research, Study-abroad, Business Options
- Undergraduate research opportunities starting in freshmen year
- Learning Entrepreneurial Confidence – CREATE-X Learn-Make-Launch
- Leadership: Student Advisory Council; Materials Umbrella Society (Materials Advantage, Psi-Phi, MRS); Capstone Design; The MILL
- Aspiring to be Nobel Laureate or Entrepreneur or Industrial Engineer, or Research Scientist, or an Academic
- Georgia Tech is one of the nation’s top universities, distinguished by its commitment to improving the human condition through science and technology.
- The Georgia Tech campus occupies 400+ acres in the heart of the city of Atlanta (midtown), where about 25,000 students receive a focused, technology based education