MSE faculty are ranked among the top leaders in attracting research funding at Georgia Tech. Our faculty head over 15 major interdisciplinary centers including centers devoted to Nanotechnology, Bioengineering, Molecular Design, Electronic Packaging and Photonics.
No matter what your materials research needs are, we’re confident that MSE@GT has the expertise and equipment to help you quickly and efficiently achieve your objectives.
The following is just a sample (the complete list is HERE ) of the centers and equipment we have:
- The Center For Nanostructure Characterization & Fabrication has 4 SEMs, 4 TEMs, 3 X-ray diffractometers and other characterization tools for performing advanced research on a variety of nanoscale materials.
- GTRI Chemical Vapor Deposition Lab has extensive equipment and capabilities and expertise exists for the deposition of ceramic, metallic, and diamond coatings by chemical vapor deposition (CVD). Coatings are used to provide protection from wear, erosion, corrosion, and oxidation, as well as for the fabrication of electronic and optical devices.
- The Composites Manufacturing and Research Laboratory is used for a wide variety of research programs in composites manufacture and testing, covering the span between polymer synthesis through compounding, pre-preg formation to product manufacture, and mechanical and non-destructive testing.
- Corrosion Science and Engineering research includes understanding the basic mechanisms involved in material degradation in given environments and using that knowledge to develop a mitigation strategy against environment-induced failures.
- the High-Strain-Rate Gas-Gun Laboratory utilizes a gas gun that is equipped with interferometric, stress-gauge measurement, and high-speed digital data acquisition instrumentation, permitting material testing at strain rates up to 106 s-1, under a range of multiaxial states of stress through normal and pressure-shear (inclined) plate impact experiments.
- The Materials Processing Laboratory capabilities include Powder Processing Apparatus (characterization of powders and slurries in support of hollow sphere development), Hollow Sphere Fabrication (fabricating hollow spheres from slurries), Melting and Solidification Laboratory, Impedance Spectroscopy and Electrochemical Analysis and Testing Facilities, and Corrosion Testing (Two electrochemical corrosion testing systems).