Every individual working in an MSE laboratory MUST successfully complete LAB SAFETY 101 and RIGHT-TO-KNOW (RTK) courses AT LEAST ONCE PER YEAR. Right-to-know is offered online only and it needs to be completed by taking an online quiz. Lab safety 101 can be completed either by taking a campus seminar or by taking an online quiz.
Training and certification is obtained by:
- Attending any of the campus-wide safety seminars on lab safety 101.
- Passing the online Lab Safety 101 quiz after going through an online tutorial.
- Completing “Right to Know” (RTK) training (mandated by State Law) See - USG RTK Page .
- The above requirements need to be completed ONCE EVERY calendar year you are working in an MSE lab.
- The Safety Quiz (basic lab safety 101) can be taken online.
- The safety seminar on Lab Safety 101 is offered by MSE at the beginning of both Fall and Spring semesters (you should receive an email announcing each offering). Additionally seminars are offered throughout the year by the office of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS). See TrainsWeb for course offerings (For tutorials search for "Lab Safety 101" and “Right to Know” under Tutorials)
- After you complete the RTK training, print out a certificate of completion and place it in Bill Miller's mailbox in the Love Bldg.
- Those who have not successfully completed “Lab Safety 101” and “Right to Know” quizzes within the previous 12 months are not authorized to work in any MSE laboratory.
- Frank Moss can assist you with any questions or problems. His office is located in room 271 in the J. Erskine Love Jr. Manufacturing Building.
Additional Information & Downloads
- ESSENTIALS OF MSE LABORATORY SAFETY PROGRAM
- MSE Safety Training Requirements - PowerPoint Presentation
- MSE EMERGENCY PROTOCOL - PowerPoint Presentation
- MSE Incident Report Sheet - PDF
For more detailed information on lab safety, please read the MSE Safety Policy.