Vladimir V. Tsukruk is a Dean’s Distinguished Professor of Engineering at the School of Materials Science and Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, a founding Director of Microanalysis Center, and founding co-director of DoD BIONIC Center of Excellence. He received MS degree in physics from the National University of Ukraine, PhD in polymer science and DSc in chemistry from the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. He carried out his post-doc research at the U. Marburg, Darmstadt TU, and U. Akron.
He serves on the Editorial Advisory Boards of ten professional journals and as an Associate Editor at ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces. He has co-authored more than 400 refereed articles in archival journals and five books, which have been cited more than 15,500 times with H-index of 60 (WoS). He has organized ten professional symposia and trained about 70 students currently employed in industry, academia, and national labs. His research in the field of surfaces, interfaces, directed assembly of synthetic/natural polymers and nanostructures, and bioinspired hybrid nanomaterials has been recognized by The Georgia Tech Outstanding Research Author Award (2015), the Humboldt Lectureship (2011), Humboldt Research Award (2010) and the National Science Foundation Special Creativity Award (2006) among others.
He was elected as a Fellow of American Physical Society (2010), Materials Research Society (2011), and American Chemical Society (2014). He co-authored a comprehensive textbook (Scanning Probe Microscopy of Soft Matter: Fundamentals and Practices, Wiley-VCH, 2012).
Post-doctoral, Polymer Science Department, The University of Akron, OH, 1992-1993
Post-doctoral, Freiburg University, Germany, 1992
Post-doctoral Humboldt Fellow, Technical University of Darmstadt, Germany, 1990-1992
Ph.D.2 (D.Sc.), Chemistry, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Kiev 1988
Ph.D., Polymer Science (Yu. Lipatov), National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Kiev 1983
M.S., Molecular Physics, National University of Ukraine, Kiev, Ukraine 1978
- GT Outstanding Faculty Research Author Award (2015)
- Fellow, American Chemical Society (2014)
- SAIC Advisor Award (2012)
- Fellow, Materials Research Society (2011)
- SAIC Advisor Award (2011)
- Humboldt Lectureship (2010)
- Fellow, American Physical Society (2009)
- Humboldt Research Award (2009)
- NSF Special Creativity Award (2006)
- ISN-MIT Visiting Professorship (2005)
- MSE Departmental Research Award (2001)
- Visiting Professorship, Ecole des Mines de Nancy, France (2001)
- MSE Departmental Research Award (2001)
- Outstanding Service to Students Award, WMU (1995)
- Summer Faculty Research Fellowship, AFOSR (1995)
- Visiting International Scholarship, Nihon University, Tokyo, Japan(1994)
- Research Initiation Award for Young Investigators, National Science Foundation (1994)
- Research Opportunity Award, National Science Foundation - Stanford University (1994)
- Humboldt Foundation Fellowship, AHF, Germany (1990)
- Award for the best research work among young investigators of Ukraine, Ukraine (1985)
- Award in competition among young investigators of Academy of Science of USSR, USSR (1984)
- Awards for the best research work at the Institute of Macromolecular Chemistry, Kiev, Ukraine (1982, 1983)
Professional Services at National and International LevelsCurrent
Associate Editor, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2015-present
Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Macromolecules 2016-present
Member, Editorial Advisory Board, ACS Macro Letters 2016-present
Member, Editorial Advisory Board, ACS Biomat. Sci. & Eng. 2014-present
Member, Editorial Advisory Board, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2010-present
Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Langmuir 2010-present
Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Polymer 2005-present
- Biologically Enabled and Bioinspired Materials
- Polymers and Macromolecules
- Nanomaterials and Nanoengineered Devices
- Functional Electronic and Optical Materials
- Multi-scale Structural & Chemical Characterization
- Self-assembly of polymeric and organic films
- Dendritic macromolecules as building blocks for organized assemblies
- at functionalized interfaces
- Star and hyperbranched polymeric assemblies at interfaces
- Bio-hybrid and bio-inspired surface assemblies
- Biomimetics and biological thermal sensing
- Molecular lubricants for microelectromechanical systems
- Nanotribology and nanomechanical properties of polymeric surfaces
- Scanning Probe Microscopy of polymeric interfaces
- Polymer surfaces and interfaces: nanostructures and nanoproperties
Refereed Journals and Proceeding Articles:
- V. V. Tsukruk, S. Singamaneni, Scanning Probe Microscopy of Soft Matter: Fundamentals and Practices, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, 2012, 661 pages
- C. R. Xiong, K. Hu, C. Lu, R. Ma, X. Zhang, V. V. Tsukruk, Braking the Banana Rule: Combining Strength, Toughness and Stretchability in Cellulose Nanocrystal-Graphene Oxide Nanomaterials, Adv. Mater., 2016, in print
- S. T. Malak, J. Jung, Y. J. Yoon, M. J. Smith, Chun Lin, Z. Lin, V. V. Tsukruk,, Large-area multicolor emissive patterns of quantum dot-polymer films via targeted recovery of emission signature, Adv. Optic. Materials, 2016, in print
- W. Xu, A. A. Steinschulte, F. A. Plamper, V. F. Korolovych, V. V. Tsukruk, Hierarchical Assembly of Star Polymer Polymersomes into Responsive Multicompartmental Microcapsules, Chem. Mater., 2016, in print
- S. Kim, M. Russell, D. Kulkarni, M. Henry, S. S. Kim, R. R. Naik, A. A. Voevodin, S. S. Jang, V. V. Tsukruk, A. G. Fedorov, Activating ‘Invisible’ Glue: Using Electron Beam for Enhancement of Interfacial Properties of Graphene-Metal Contact, ACS Nano, 2016, 10, 1042-1049.
- L. Tian, K. Liu, S. Cao, J. Geldmeier, M. Fei, V. V. Tsukruk, S. Singamaneni, Externally-triggered Electromagnetic Hotspots through Spontaneous Folding of Plasmonic Gel, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2016, in print
- K. Hu, R. Xiong, H. Guo, R. Ma, S. Zhang, Z. L. Wang, V. V. Tsukruk,, Self-Powered Electronic Skin with Bio-Tactile Ability, Adv. Mater. 2016, in print
- M. Chyasnavichyus, S. L. Young, R. Geryak, V. V. Tsukruk, Probing elastic properties of soft materials with AFM: data analysis for different tip geometries, Polymer, 2016, in print
- W. Xu, P. A Ledin, Z. Iatridi, C. Tsitsilianis, V. V. Tsukruk, Multicompartmental Microcapsules w6ith Orthogonal Programmable Two-way Sequencing of Hydrophobic and Hydrophilic Cargo Release, Ang. Chem. 2016, in print
- J. Jung, C. H. Lin, Y. J. Yoon, S. T. Malak, Y. Zhai, E. L. Thomas, Z. V. Vardeny, V. V. Tsukruk, Z. Lin, Crafting Core/Graded Shell/Shell Quantum Dots with Suppressed Re-absorption and Tunable Stokes Shift as High Optical Gain Materials, Ang. Chem., 2016, in print
- Ye, V. V. Tsukruk, Designing two-dimensional materials that spring rapidly into three-dimensional shapes, Science, 2015, 347, 130.
- C. Ye, S. V. Nikolov, R. Calabrese, A. Dindar, A. Alexeev, B. Kippelen, D. L. Kaplan, V. V. Tsukruk,, Self-(un)rolling Biopolymer Microstructures: Rings, Tubules, and Helical Tubules from the Same Material, Angew. Chemie. 2015, 54, 8490.
- C. Hanske, M. Tebbe, C. Kuttner, V. Bieber, V. V. Tsukruk, M. Chanana, T. A. F. König, A. Fery, Strongly Coupled Plasmonic Modes on Macroscopic Areas via Template-Assisted Colloidal Self-Assembly, Nano Lett., 2014, 14, 68
- S. K. Hu, D. D. Kulkarni, I. Choi, V. V. Tsukruk, Graphene–Polymer Nanocomposites for Structural and Functional Applications, Prog. Polym. Sci., 2014, 39, 1934-1972.
- R. D. Geryak, V. V. Tsukruk, Reconfigurable and Actuating Structures from Soft Materials, Soft Matter, 2014, 10, 1246-1263.
- S. Sheiko, J. Zhou, J. Boyce, D. Neugebauer, K. Matyjaszewski, C. Tsitsilianis, V. V. Tsukruk, J.-M. Y. Carrillo, A. V. Dobrynin, M. Rubinstein, Perfect mixing of immiscible macromolecules at fluid interfaces, Nature Mater., 2013, 12, 735-740.
- Drachuk, I.; O. Shchepelina, M. Lisunova, S. Harbaugh, N. Kelley-Loughnane, M. Stone, V. V. Tsukruk, pH-Responsive Nanoshells for Direct Regulation of Cell Activity, ACS Nano, 2012, 6, 4266.
- J. T. Wilson, W. Cui, V. Kozlovskaya, E. Kharlampieva, D. Pan, Z. Qu, V. R. Krishnamurthy, J. Mets, V. Kumar, J. Wen, Y. Song, V. V. Tsukruk, E. L. Chaikof, Cell Surface Engineering with Polyelectrolyte Multilayer Thin Films, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2011, 133, 7054
- Shchepelina, O.; Drachuk, I.; Gupta, M. K.; Lin, J.; Tsukruk, V. V. Silk-on-Silk LbL Microcapsules, Adv. Mater., 2011, 23, 4655
- Cohen-Stuart, M. C.; Huck, W.; Genzer, J.; Müller, M.; Ober, C.; Stamm, M.; Sukhorukov, G.; Szleifer, I.; Tsukruk, V. V.; Urban, M.; Winnik, F.; Zauscher, S.; Luzinov, I.; Minko, S. Emerging Applications of Stimuli-responsive Polymer Materials. Nature Mater. 2010, 9, 101.
- R. W. Friddle, M. C. LeMieux, G. Cicero, A. B. Artyukhin, V. V. Tsukruk, J. C. Grossman, G. Galli, A. Noy, Single functional group interactions with individual carbon nanotubes, Nature Nanotech., 2007, 2, 692
- C. Jiang, V. V. Tsukruk, Free Standing Nanostructures via Layer-by-Layer Assembly, Adv. Mater. 2006, 18, 829-840.
- K. L. Genson, J. Holzmueller, M. Ornatska, Y.-S. Yoo, M.-H. Park, M. S. Lee, V. V. Tsukruk, Assembling of dense fluorescent supramolecular webs via self-propelled star-shaped aggregates, Nano Lett. 2006, 6, 435-440.
- M. C. LeMieux, M. McConney, Y.-H. Lin, S. Singamaneni, H. Jiang, T.J. Bunning, V. V. Tsukruk, Polymeric Nanolayers as Actuators for Ultra-Sensitive Thermal Bimorphs, Nano Lett., 2006, 6, 730-734.
- J.-H. Jang, C. K. Ullal1, T. Gorishnyy, V. V. Tsukruk, E. L. Thomas, Mechanically Tunable Three-Dimensional Elastomeric Network/Air Structures via Interference Lithography, Nano Lett. 2006, 6, 740-743.
- C. Jiang, M. E. McConney, S. Singamaneni, E. Merrick, Y. Chen, J. Zhao, L. Zhang, V. V. Tsukruk, Thermo-optical Arrays of Flexible Nanomembranes Freely Suspended over Microfabricated Cavities as IR Microimagers, Chem. Mater., 2006, 18, 2632-2634.
- H. Ko, V. V. Tsukruk, Liquid-crystalline processing of highly-oriented carbon nanotube arrays for thin film transistors, NanoLett. 2006, 6, 1443-1448.
- T. Choi, J.-H. Jang, C. K. Ullal, M. C. Lemieux, V. V. Tsukruk, E. L. Thomas, The elastic properties and plastic behavior of two-dimensional polymer structures fabricated with laser interference lithography, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2006, 16, 1324
- H. Shulha, C. Wong, D. L. Kaplan, V. V. Tsukruk, Unfolding the Multi-length Scale Domain Structure of Silk Fibroin Protein, Polymer, 2006, 47, 5821-5830.
- C. Jiang, W. Y. Lio, V. V. Tsukruk, Surface Enhanced Raman Scattering Monitoring of Chain Alignment in Freely Suspended Nanomembranes, Phys. Rev. Lett., 2005, 95, 115503.
- Y.-H. Lin, J. Teng, E. R. Zubarev, H. Shulha, V. V. Tsukruk, In-situ Observation of Switchable Nanoscale Topography for Y-shaped Binary Brushes in Fluids, NanoLett. 2005, 5, 491-495.
- C. Jiang, S. Markutsya, H. Shulha, V. V. Tsukruk, Freely Suspended Gold Nanoparticles Arrays, Adv. Mater.2005, 17, 1669-1673.
- C. Jiang, H. Ko, V. V. Tsukruk, Strain Sensitive Raman Modes of Carbon Nanotubes in Deflecting Freely Suspended Nanomembranes, Adv. Mater., .2005, 17, 2127-2131.
- C. Jiang, B. M. Rybak, S. Markutsya, P. E. Kladitis, V. V. Tsukruk, Self-recovery of Nanocomposite Nanomembranes, Appl. Phys. Lett., 2005, 86, 121912.
- S. Markutsya, C. Jiang, Y. Pikus, V. V. Tsukruk, Free-standing multilayered nanocomposites films as highly sensitive nanomembranes, Adv. Funct. Mater., 2005,15, 771-780.
- H. Ko, C. Jiang, H. Shulha, V. V. Tsukruk Carbon nanotube arrays encapsulated into freely suspended flexible films, Chem. Mater., 2005, 17, 2490-2493.
- J. Holzmueller, K. L. Genson, Y. Park, Y.-S. Yoo, M.-H. Park, M. Lee, V. V. Tsukruk, Amphiphilic Tree-like Rods at Interfaces: Layered Stems and Circular Aggregation, Langmuir, 2005, 21, 6392-6398
- K. L. Genson, J. Holzmueller, I. Leshchiner, E. Agina, N. Boiko, V. P. Shibaev, V. V. Tsukruk, Organized Monolayers of Carbosilane Dendrimers with Mesogenic Terminal Groups, Macromolecules, 2005, 38, 8028-8035
- K. L. Genson, J. Holzmuller, O. F. Villacencio, D. V. McGrath, D. Vaknin, V. V. Tsukruk, Monolayers of Photochromic Amphiphilic Monodendrons: Molecular Aspects of Light Switching at Liquid and Solid Surfaces, J. Phys. Chem. B, 2005, 109, 20393-20402.
- H. Ko, C. Jiang, V. V. Tsukruk, Encapsulating nanoparticle arrays into layer-by-layer multilayers by capillary transfer lithography, Chem. Mater. 2005, 17, 5489-5497.
- C. Jiang, S. Markutsya, Y. Pikus, V. V. Tsukruk, Freely Suspended Nanocomposite Membranes as Highly-Sensitive Sensors, Nature Mater.(Cover Story) 2004, 3, 721-728.
- V. V. Tsukruk, H. Ko, S. Peleshanko, Nanotube surface arrays: Weaving, bending, and assembling on patterned silicon, Phys. Rev. Let. 2004, 92, 065502.
- I. Luzinov, S. Minko, V. V. Tsukruk, Adaptive and Responsive Surfaces Through Controlled Reorganization Of Interfacial Polymer Layers, Prog. Polym. Sci. 2004,29, 635.
- C. Jiang, S. Markutsya, V. V. Tsukruk, Compliant, Robust, and Truly Nanoscale Free-Standing Multilayer Films Fabricated using Spin-Assisted Layer-by-Layer Assembly, Adv. Mater., 2004, 16, 157.
- A Kovalev, H. Shulha, M. Lemieux, N. Myshkin, V. V. Tsukruk Nanomechanical probing of layered nanoscale polymer films with atomic force microscopy, J. Mater. Res. 2004, 19, 716.
- H. Ko, S. Peleshanko, V. V. Tsukruk, Combing And Bending Of Carbon Nanotube Arrays With Confined Microfluidic Flow On Patterned Surfaces, J. Phys. Chem., 2004, 108, 4385-4393.
- M. Ornatska, K. N. Bergman, B. Rybak, S. Peleshanko, V. V. Tsukruk Nanofibers from functionalized dendritic molecules, Angew. Chem. 2004, 43, 5246-5249.
- S. Peleshanko, J. Jeong, R. Gunawidjaja, V. V. Tsukruk, Amphiphilic heteroarm PEO-b-PSm star polymers at the air-water interface: aggregation and surface morphology, Macromolecules, 2004, 37, 6511-6522.
- S. Peleshanko, J. Jeong, V. V. Shevchenko, K. L. Genson, Yu. Pikus, S. Petrash, V. V. Tsukruk, Synthesis and Properties of Asymmetric Heteroarmed PEOn-b-PSm Star Polymers, Macromolecules, 2004, 37, 7497-7506.
- S. Peleshanko, R. Gunawidjaja, J. Jeong, V. V. Shevchenko, V. V. Tsukruk, Surface behavior of amphiphilic heteroarm star block copolymers with asymmetric architecture, Langmuir, 2004, 20, 9423-9427.
- H. Ko, Y. Pikus, C. Jiang, A. Jauss, O. Hollricher, V. V. Tsukruk, High Resolution Raman microscopy of curled carbon nanotubes, Appl. Phys. Lett., 2004, 85, 2598-2600.
- V. V. Tsukruk, H. Shulha, X. Zhai Nanoscale stiffness of individual dendritic molecules and their aggregates, Appl. Phys. Lett., 2003, 82, 907.
- M. Ornatska, S. E. Jones, R. R. Naik, M. Stone, V. V. Tsukruk, Biomolecular Stress-Sensitive Gauges: Surface-Mediated Immobilization of Mechanosensitive Membrane Protein, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2003, 125, 12722-12723
- H. Ahn, D. Julthongpiput, Doo-In Kim, V. V. Tsukruk, Dramatic enhancement of the tribological behavior of oil-enriched polymer gel nanolayers, Wear, 2003, 255, 801.
- D. Julthongpiput, Y-H. Lin, J. Teng, E. R. Zubarev, V. V. Tsukruk Y-shaped Amphiphilic Brushes with Switchable Micellar Surface Structures, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2003, 125, 15912-15921.
- V. Gorbunov, N. Fuchigami, M. Stone, M. Grace V. V. Tsukruk, Biological thermal detection: Micromechanical and microthermal properties of biological infrared receptors, Biomacromolecules, 2002, 3, 106.
- M. Lee, J.-W. Kim, Y.-S. Yoo, S. Peleshanko, K. Larson, D. Vaknin, S. Markutsya, V. V. Tsukruk Organization of Amphiphilic Molecular Disks with Branched Hydrophilic Tails and Hexa-peri-hexabenzocoronene Core, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2002, 124, 9121.
- V. V. Tsukruk, Molecular Lubricants And Glues For Micro- and Nanodevices, Adv. Materials, 13, 95, 2001.
- N. Fuchigami, J. Hazel, V. V. Gorbunov, M. Stone, M. Grace, V. V. Tsukruk, Biological thermal detection. I: Ultra-microstructure of pit organs in infra-red imaging snakes, Biomacromolecules, 2, 757, 2001.
Books or Chapters of Books:
- V. V. Tsukruk, N. D. Spencer, Eds. Advances in Scanning Probe
- Microscopy of Polymers, Macromolecular Symposium, v. 167, 2001.
- V. V. Tsukruk, K. Wahl, Eds. Microstructure and Microtribology of Polymer Surfaces, ACS Symposium Series, v. 741, 2000.
- B. Ratner, V. V. Tsukruk, Eds. Scanning Probe Microscopy in Polymers, ACS Symposium Series, 1998, v. 694.
- V. V. Tsukruk, V. V. Shilov, Structure of Polymeric Liquid Crystals, Kiev:Naukova Dumka, 1990